- Contact the Textbook Department:
- Phone: 401-863-2270
- FAX: 401-863-7094
- email: textbooks(at)brown.edu
Textbook Rentals are due back by May 17th
**Avoid late fees! Return your rental on time.**
Buyback available year-round!
(more information here)
Brown Students: Online Textbook Reservation for Spring 2013 is closed.
RISD Students: Online Textbook Reservation for Wintersession 2013 is closed.
Online Textbook Reservation
Textbooks available for Rental - Spring 2013
Textbook Rental Listings for Spring 2013
Textbook Rental Agreement
About the Staff
The textbook staff is experienced, professional and proud of its reputation on campus for customer service. The staff enjoys interacting with Brown students, faculty, staff and the many area physicians, professionals, residents and visitors who frequent the bookstore. In providing this essential service, textbook work is at times difficult and demanding, but also rewarding. Input from customers is welcome and an important part in assuring that the textbook department will continue to meet the academic and professional needs of the community.
The Brown University Bookstore Textbook Department supplies Brown University students with the course books and materials for over 700 University classes each semester. More than 3,200 titles are stocked.
The Bookstore offers an on-line purchase option. Books will be boxed and held for the student at the bookstore. Rentals now available on select titles.
- --Rentals available in-store only.
- --Brown Students: Online ordering is available up to the first day of classes.
- --Please allow 1-2 business days for online orders to be processed.
- --Online orders not picked up within 5 days of order date will be reshelved.
- --Credit Card/Student Charge is charged when online orders are pulled and processed for pick-up.
Textbooks Returns & Exchanges Policy
- --Original register receipt required for return or exchange.
- --Refunds will be in the same form as original purchase with original receipt.
- --Textbooks and Course Packs must be in original/saleable condition.
- --Please Note: Some textbooks cannot be returned if opened.
- --Please inquire when you purchase a wrapped textbook.
- First 2 weeks of classes:
- --Students have a maximum of three (3) days to return any textbook for a course
- in which they are enrolled.
- --To return a textbook for a course in which a student is not enrolled, a drop slip
- or course schedule is required for verification.
- Second 2 weeks of classes:
- --Returns are accepted for dropped courses only; Drop/Add form required.
- --Returns must me made within three (3) days of the date a course is dropped.
- No Returns after first four weeks of classes.
- --Please check with Textbooks department for exact date.
Summer Session Textbooks
- Course duration determines number of days from date of purchase to return textbooks:
- --1 week course = 1 day to return textbook.
- --2 weeks course = 2 days to return textbook.
- --3 weeks course = 3 days to return textbook.
- --4 weeks course = 4 days to return textbook.
- --7-8 weeks course = 7 days to return textbook.
The Cost of Course Textbooks and Materials
Course books and materials are an essential part of academic studies at Brown. They are a significant cost to many students and the Bookstore tries to reduce the student’s costs by offering a wide supply of used texts. We now offer Textbook Rental available on select titles. Textbook Rental is available in-store only.
--Bookstore Student Card Services
Students choosing to purchase used books and to resell them at buyback can save on their book costs. The Bookstore tries to obtain as many used books as possible in order to reduce the cost of books to students. Used books are sold at a discounted price.
Students may receive up to half the price of a textbook (whether purchased new or used) at the semester-end buyback if the book is being used for the upcoming semester. If the Bookstore does not have that need, it will quote a wholesale price from the country’s largest used book wholesaler if it is in
Course Pack Materials
In addition to course books, many faculty supplement their class instruction with anthologized materials. These are produced by Brown Graphic Services and sold by the Bookstore as course packs. Course packs are shelved with the textbooks required for a particular course, providing a convenient one-stop shop for both course books and course pack materials. In addition to Graphic Services production and Bookstore selling costs, royalty fees required by the copyright holder usually total 50% to 75% of the course pack selling price, sometimes more. Course pack selling prices average around $25.00, but for some courses the course pack price will be a larger portion of the course costs. Visit http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/Graphic_Services/
Students purchasing their course books and course supplies at the Brown University Bookstore with their Brown ID are exempt from RI sales tax.